Making the time to read
That's about 12 million words a year of learning focused reading.
The way I see it, my #1 priority is to go to bed smarter than when I woke up. This is a gem of a phrase that I stole from Charlie Munger and think about everyday.
Learning is a system that I trust. I've seen it pay off in spades -- in my career, in my relationships and in my self-awareness. Big, huge wins.
I know it's my priority. But, just because its clear, doesn't mean it's effortless.
I make the time to read with these five key strategies:
- I always, always have a book with me.
- I treat my well edited Feedly (where I get 90% of my articles from) as my guilty pleasure
- I binge read. Mostly on the weekends.
- 99% of the time, I don't do TV, social media or "news".
- I always have at least 2 books going, so I can pick based on which one I feel like reading.
These may or may not be the right strategies for you. But, I assure you, there are strategies that will help you make time.
Sit down and identify what you need to do to make time. Then do it.